Let us safely assume the reason you are browsing ways to remove pop up online is due to the fact that you are troubled by them.Pop-ups are annoying and do spoil your browsing experience. But pop-ups aren’t harmless ads as they used to be a decade back. They serve as the entry point for malware that can pose serious threats to your data. ‘How to fix my laptop?’ this is surely the question that would be running through your mind. It isn’t difficult if you do a few basic things and follow best practices. Here we share with you seven strategies that’ll help you remove pop-ups from your laptop or computer. Ideally you need to implement all these strategies together to achieve best results.
How to Fix My Computer?
#1. Disable Taskbar Notification
If you are using Windows 10 the first step to block popups is to disable taskbar notification. While many of these popups are harmless they are definitely annoying. To block such popups go to the Start Menu and click on Settings (Gear Icon) and navigate to Notifications & Actions. Here you will see “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows” option at the bottom of the page. You need to turn it off and Windows will stop bothering you from now on.
#2. Blocking Pop-Ups Using Browsers
All major browsers offer you an easy way to block pop-ups and save yourself from this daily annoyance. But before we look into the way you can do so in major browsers you must religiously update your browser to the latest version if it isn’t done automatically. While this may not solve your problem completely it will definitely improve your odds in the fight against this menace. Here is how you can block pop-ups in major browsers.
- Google Chrome – In Google Chrome access browser settings by clicking on three vertical dots on the top right corner of your browser. Navigate to Settings > Advanced > Content Settings at the bottom of the page, scroll down to Popups and slide the slider to Off position
- Microsoft Edge – Here you need to click on three horizontal dots on the upper right corner of the browser. Go to Settings > View Advanced Settings. Slide the slider to ‘On’ position for Bock Popups.
- Mozilla Firefox – Access settings by clicking on the three vertical lines on upper-right corner. Next go to Preferences > Content and ‘Block Popup Windows’
- Apple Safari – In the Menu bar click on Safari and navigate to Preferences > Security tab where in the ‘Web Content’ section you will find ‘Block Popup Windows’ and the popups will be blocked immediately.
- Opera – Go to the Opera menu button and navigate to Settings > Preferences. In the General tab select ‘Block Unwanted pop-ups’ and click on Ok option or else and click on OK and you are done.
- Internet Explorer – If you are still using the good old IE you need to open Tools > Internet Options and navigate to Privacy. In the Privacy Tab Check Turn on Pop-up Blocker and popups would be blocked
These steps will block all popups in these browsers by default. In case you want to filter ‘good or useful popups’ you can do so by exploring Advanced or Exceptions as may be the terminology in your browser. If you are using a web browser other than these you can Google on how to change turn on pop-up blogger in your browser.
#3. Remove Malware from Computer
Well the name itself is enough to tell you that they are uninvited guests in your computers and laptops and you should bid adieu to them immediately. Make use of a good anti-malware program that will help you identify and remove them. But do remember free anti-malware software may not be as effective as ones that require you to buy license.
#4. Remove Suspicions Software
Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features and scan for the programs that are installed on your system. Do you come across something that you don’t remember installing or one that comes from an unrecognizable publisher? Uninstall it immediately are restart your system.
#5. Using Ad Cleaners
Ad Cleaners work similar to malware removers with the only difference being that they are specifically aimed at removing adware that infect your system. There are a number of third-party adware removers and you can install them and free yourself from this menace. They would thoroughly scan your system and identify all adware threats and remove them.
#6. Check Browsers Hijackers
Along with pop-ups are you experiencing abnormal behavior of your browser? These can be anything ranging from your search being redirected to particular websites or your homepage, default search engine and other default settings in the browser suddenly change without you having affected them. It’s more likely that your browser may have been hijacked and this malware is troubling you with constant popups. There are several anti-malware tools that let you deal with this problem. If this doesn’t help you can uninstall the browser and install a fresh copy to overcome this problem.
#7. Install Software Carefully
It’s always better to be safe than sorry and hence you should be extremely careful while installing software into your computer or laptop. Refer to Point No. 4 and you may have many suspicious programs running in your system and most of these made their way into your system as you were a little careless! Avoid downloading software from unverified sources or install add-on software and tools that come along with software that you may need.
If the following steps don’t help you remove pop ups online and you are still wondering ‘how to fix my computer’ you need to get in touch with experts. There are several online support companies that help you deal with problems of popups, malware and dozens of other problems. They make sure that your workstation is secured from all infringing problems and you get the best performance out of them.